Sunday, May 10, 2009

NOSTALGIE..CAMEROONIAN PRAISE..NA WHO WEH PAPA GOD NOVA DO GOOD FOR HE

FYI: To pause the music while you read, scroll to the bottom of this post and pause it..then you can listen to it afterward.

Yes its Sunday..and in this part of the world..Mothers Day..So happy mothers day to all the Mamas...Y'all are the backbone..I always knew that.
But apart from that, it being Sunday, Ive been reminiscing about Sunday morning services in Cameroon...All I can think about is how very joyful it was...Sunday morning was what was hot in the streets...I always looked forward to going to church..yes of course I was still in Sunday school or "Children's Church"..lol not that we did much, but one thing that has always stood out to me over the years was the singing...the praise and worship. Ive heard people say many times when they look at Africa that God has left Africa a long long time ago...But I say, if you want to find that same God, go to Africa...Go amongst the parents who have buried children...the ones trying to squeeze out a living...the war torn families...and you'll find God. That's one thing I love about being African and Cameroonian. We have an awareness of God and we don't take it lightly. The African culture is pretty much divided into 3 sections... God, Family, Food. We have God, we are very family oriented...and we over like damé, chop, grub, "on va show ca" food. Infact, we di chop sotey, we lick wa fingers them like we wan chop dem too! lol
Sunday service in Cameroon is pretty INTENSE...I look at what we call going to church in the western world and its just child's play...You attend Sunday service in Cameroon, and you'll not want it to end...the preaching the praise...not even the one in pidgin which I attended in Mutengene. That Pastor knack am for pidgin so eh, hm only that service teach me for tok pidgin fine :) But Africa is a blessing...Africa is the work of God...the Tears of God..the joy of God...the heart of God...

So anyhoo today I remembered some of the praises we used to sing when I was growing up in Cameroon (YES..I infact grew up in Africa..for all you who doubt my origins :) )and it brought back all these memories... "Na who weh papa God never do good for ei" to "Eh yahwe ey yahwe kumama" "Jesus nah biggie man o man wey no know call am small man" "Na so so wonder Jesus dey do..he sugar my tea he buttered my bread" "Winner oh oh oh, winner" "Come and see the light" "Jesus nah the only son of God o ewo..shebi nah true" etc etc etc you get my idea...I love african gospel with a passion...and you should too..its part of our culture...lock your door if you must, turn up the volume, and shake ya skin for Papa God...Trust me, I dey do am now now so :D


No comments: